Sunday, March 1, 2009

We're one, but we're not the same...



Today was the first day of spring. At least that's what the calendar says and that's what I felt when I went outside today. Lots of sun and warm weather... quite amazing, given that last week-end i was at the mountains, where there was plenty of snow...

And since it was such a lovely day today I decided not to stay in, but instead met a couple of my friends and also saw this amazing U2 concert at the cinema. I know it's a weird place to watch a concert, but it was not just an ordinary concert, but the first one filmed in 3D HD... It was filmed during their Vertigo tour, in Buenos Aires, Argentina. I must admit I have not seen a 3D movie yet, so I didn't know what to expect. As I said, it was totally amazing! At times it felt like I was on stage with them, kicking the drums with Larry or soloing on the guitar with The Edge. At other times it felt like I was in the audience, right in front of the stage, or maneuvering the camera from above the crowd... Sometimes they seemed to be so close, i could see the sweat on Bono's forehead... The most amazing part was during "Sunday, Bloody Sunday". When Bono was singing "I'll wipe your tears away" the camera was really close to him and he was reaching out to it. it seemed like he was reaching out to me and I almost wanted to reach out and take his hand... I know the feeling when seeing a recorded concert is not like being in the crowd and seeing them live, but this was indeed a unique experience... Wonder if there's any Bon Jovi concert recorder in 3D...

Although Bon Jovi is my all time favorite band, U2 will forever hold an honorary 2nd place in my heart. Ok, let's not forget Boyzone, from my boy-bands phase... U2 doesn't just sing, but they try, and sometimes succeed, to deliver social messages through their songs. And if we could all just stop for a moment and listen, I mean really LISTEN, I truly believe we could make our world a better and safer world to live in... When I first saw the image above during the concert, written on banners and bandannas, I didn't quite realize what it meant. OK, I did figure out it was the Muslim crescent symbol, the Jewish Star of David and the Christian cross, and that it did have something to do with the fact that "we're one". But I just didn't see that it spelled "COEXIST". Here's a quote from an articke I found on http://www.atu2.com:

"And in the midst of 'Sunday Bloody Sunday' (which, according to Bono, doesn't just belong to Ireland anymore) Bono points to each religious icon and declares:

'Jesus, Jew, Muhammad, it's true...All sons of Abraham. Father Abraham, speak to your sons. Tell them, No more!'"


The entire article can be found here: http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=3995. It is really interesting to read.

Wonder if U2 will be coming to Romania soon, because I'd like to see them live too :)

Is there a time to walk for cover
A time for kiss and tell
Is there a time for different colors
Different names you find it hard to spell

Is there a time for first communion
A time for Synagogue
Is there a time to turn to Mecca
Is there a time to be a beauty queen

Here she comes
Beauty plays the clown
Here she comes
Surreal in her crown

1 comment:

  1. the first day of spring isn't for a few more weeks according to our calendars here!!

    great blog! i love, love, love U2!! think i'm going to have to go listen to some now....enjoy this RARE snowy day, and gear up for the release of thier new cd this week!!!!

    love ya, honey!

    ReplyDelete